Infrastructure and Personnel Requirements
- General ward for inpatients.
- Isolation rooms for children admitted for febrile neutropenia.
- Trained Oncology Nurse.
- Chemotherapy preparation room.
- In house junior resident.
- Availability of Oxygen and suction ports.
- Monitoring equipment:
- Pulse oxymeter with NIBP
- ECG monitoring
- Resuscitation trolley with drugs
- Procedure Room with equipment:
- For Bone marrow aspiration and biopsy
- IV cannulation
- Intrathecal drug administration
- Lumbar puncture
- Counseling room for parents.
- Microscope with LED light source with camera.
Day Care Service:
Children requiring chemotherapy or blood transfusions:
- Majority turn over of patients is in the Day Care ward and would require the same facilities as that in the ward.
- For all day care procedures that can be carried out under short GA.
Patient Record Keeping room:
- With central record Office or Department storage Patient to continue on same file so that complete record is maintained for the entire duration of the treatment.
Maintaining Chemotherapy protocols in the files as well as progress of patients.
- General OPD
- Thalassemia Clinic/Antenatal Clinic.
- Pediatric Oncology Clinic.
- Cancer Survivors’ Clinic.
- Availability of Blood Components.
- Availability of newer blood testing techniques for Transfusion associated infections e.g. Nucleic Acid Testing.
- Hemovigilence systems to improve blood use and prevent wrongful blood transfusions.
- Active participation of NGO’s for funding patient treatment, organize public information forums and provide for equipment and kits.
- Flow cytometery
- Immunohisto chemistry
- Hb Electrophoresis
- Factor assays
- Platelet function tests
- Teaching sessions for paramedical and medical personnel and general public seminars.
- Awareness programmes to reiterate the fact that pediatric cancers are curable.
- Thalassemia its prevention, diagnosis and management.
Bone Marrow Transplant Unit:
For optimum treatment of hematological and oncological disorders.
- Bone marrow registry.
- HLA matching services.
- Positive pressure ventilation rooms.
- Lamellar flow systems.
- Testing for infections HIV, Hepatitis A,B,C,E CMV, Adenovirus.
- Blood Component therapy.
Cord Blood Banking :
- For harvesting stem cells for private and public use.